Friday, May 27, 2016

Challenge #269, Magazine Publishing and Tessellated Fish

Challenge #269


The Diva's challenge this week (here) was to try out the newly released tangle Ellish.  You can find the step outs for Ellish here in the Zentangle Newsletter.

You are seeing my very first attempt at this one, and for some reason I really do not like the tile, but decided to post it anyway.  This proves that sometimes you really need to practice to get something right :)



Magazine Publishing




I love Cloth Paper Scissors and have had a subscription ever since my niece gave me a 1-year subscription many years ago.  If you don't know the magazine, there is a challenge in every issue and once in a while it grabs me, and I have to participate (and hope my submission gets published).  No matter what, I always learn lots when creating my submissions, so even if they don't end up getting accepted, I had fun :) 

This one was to design and cut a stencil and submit a 6x6 in work made with the stencil.  My piece showed up in the latest magazine - May June issue, and I was thrilled to see it.  This is the piece (below) and if you have a copy, it is on page 88.
This is the dirty stencil after creating the piece.
I even lost a little piece of it (top center flower)!


And here is the piece I created with the stencil, molding paste, watercolors, ink, colored pencils, acrylics, and who knows what else!
I also submitted an apron for the next issue, so we will see if that one will make it as well :).

Tessellated Fish


Escher's tessellations are incredible, I love them and find them very inspiring.  Mine are completely amateurish, but I don't care... I love creating them and it is always a huge challenge to make them fit perfectly, especially when you want to make it a repeat pattern.

My latest try was with the fish I hand-carved (here), but I wanted to make them a little rounder and lighter, so I fiddled with them, the design and size until I got to this:
Tessellated Fish repeat pattern painted
with watercolors in blue tones
After making the repeat pattern, I tried it on the VIDA scarves, and loved how they looked - actually was very surprised :)  Here is one:

Tessellated Fish
Cool, don't you think?

6 comments:

  1. Your scarves is amazing!!!
    And I love your DIVA tile- it is a great omposition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Simone; I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I do LOVE the scarf!!!! And the tile ..... I think you are to hard on yourself, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Diva tiles is so beautiful!
    The scarf is gorgeous!!! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Ellish-Version is so cute, like it. And your scarf is just gorgeous. Congratulation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being published. I never even thought to enter one of those challenges since I thought that too many people would be entering. Maybe I'll take another look! That stencil is really nice too! Ellish takes some getting used to I think. You made a pretty tile with it. And, I love tessellations too. I used to teach it to my 1st through 8th grade art students and they loved it so much that two of them were published in a contest of children's tessellated art! I love your scarf!

    ReplyDelete