Sunday, November 3, 2013

Zentangle Workshop - Week 1

I belong to a Yahoo group which has workshops based on books.  Once a book is chosen, everyone interested signs up, buys the book, gathers the materials needed and waits for it to start.  A couple of the group members prepare the lessons based on the book and then post one lesson a week with assignments.  The participants work on the lesson and post their assignments in their picture folder and get credit for the lesson.  It is always fun and I have always learned a lot.

Today the group is starting a new workshop:  One Zentangle a Day based on the book with the same name by Beckah Krahula.  I'm definitely part of this one as I love Zentangles and also wanted to get into this art form as a way to relax (as I have finally accepted meditation does not work for me).

So... Zentangle is an art form that anyone can do; you don't need to know how to draw - each step to create a tangle is clearly identified... you just follow along :).  You can do it also!  You will see how easy and fun it is.

This week, we are working on 6 tangles.  I like to copy the steps for each tangle so I have a record of the tangles I've learned and know how to create them.  Here are the first 6: 
   




Why don't you give them a try?  All you need is a pen, pencil, and paper.  Here are examples from my practice sessions:


Once you have practiced these, you can put them all together in one piece of art.  To start out, lightly create a "string" with your pencil.  A string is basically one continuous line dividing your paper into random sections.  Think of dropping a string on a piece of paper and the shapes it would make.  There is no right or wrong, just give it a try.  Here are some examples of strings:



So, once you have the string down on paper, you start filling in each area with a tangle.  Makes sense?  Here are some examples I created.




I hope you enjoyed these tangles and have fun trying them yourself.  If you do decide to try them, please leave me a comment so I will be motivated to post more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment